Tinkinswood’s tomb also called Castell Carreg, Llech-y-Filiast or Maes-y-Filiast was built during the Neolithic period around 4000 BC. It was a collective burial place of the early-agricultural community. During the archaeological work in 1914, more than 920 human bones were discovered inside the burial chamber, or about 40 people of all ages and genders. The bodies were probably exposed to weather conditions before being transferred to the burial chamber, which may suggest some form of rituals before the burial. Elements of ceramics from the Neolithic period and from the later Beaker culture were also found, which indicates that the tomb was probably used by the community for a long time, perhaps until the early Bronze Age.
The burial chamber consists of smaller stones arranged vertically and of a large capstone at the top, which served as the ceiling. It weighs about 40 tons and measures 7.3 x 4.3 meters, it is considered the largest in the United Kingdom. Originally, the chamber was completely covered with earth, creating an elongated shape ended with a wedge form. Over time, most of the earth has been dispersed. The small mound that remains today is about 40 x 18 meters.
Website stonepages.com, Tinkinswood.
Website wikipedia.org, Tinkinswood.