The first reference to the church comes from 1259, when the local parish priest was mentioned. The building was probably erected in the 12th century and enlarged by tower, transept and porch in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. In the nineteenth century Lord Cawdor carried out the renovation of the church.
The church consists of a long, rectangular nave, narrower and shorter, but also a rectangular chancel on the eastern side, a tall tower from the west, a short transept at the south-eastern wall of the nave and porch on the south-western side. In the past, the northern transept probably also existed, as evidenced by its remnants. The unusually long nave is 17 meters long at 5 meters wide. A narrow squint passage was created between the transept and the chancel. The original window has been preserved in the eastern wall of the presbytery, the others have been quite heavily transformed in the 19th century.
Salter M., The old parish churches of South-West Wales, Malvern 2003.
Website britishlistedbuildings.co.uk, St. Twynnell’s Church A Grade II Listed Building in Stackpole, Pembrokeshire.
Website coflein.gov.uk, St Twynnell’s church – St Twynnell’s.