The church in St. Petrox was erected in the 13th century and named after the Welsh saint Pedrog (also Petroc or Petrock) from the sixth century. In the nineteenth century, the church was thoroughly rebuilt, the work focused on the chancel. The sacristy was added than on the northern side.
The church originally consisted of a rectangular nave measuring approximately 10 x 4.9 meters and a narrower, rectangular chancel measuring approximately 5.5 by 3.3 meters. One arm of the transept measuring 3.2 x 3 meters was situated from the north, and a four-sided, three-story tower was placed on the west side. It received a prominent parapet mounted on corbels and a battlement. In its north-west corner there was placed a turret with a staircase.
Currently, it is the only church tower that has survived without major changes since the Middle Ages. The northern sacristy is a completely early modern addition, the chancel has also been heavily rebuilt. The northern wall of the nave and the western wall of the transept have larger parts of the original materials.
Salter M., The old parish churches of South-West Wales, Malvern 2003.
The Royal Commission on The Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions in Wales and Monmouthshire. An Inventory of the Ancient and Historical Monuments in Wales and Monmouthshire, VII County of Pembroke, London 1925.
Website britishlistedbuildings.co.uk, St. Petrox Church A Grade II Listed Building in Stackpole, Pembrokeshire.