The church in St. Fagans was erected in the 12th century, although it was first mentioned in documents in 1301. In the 14th century it was rebuilt and enlarged. In the fifteenth century, the porch was added and a roof truss was replaced. In the 17th century, the tower was rebuilt, which was additionally raised in 1730 during the then renovation. The whole building was restored in 1859-1860 and enlarged by a northern nave and sacristy. Since then, no major changes have been carried out, only in 1985 the tower was repaired and in 1991 the chancel was improved.
The medieval church consisted of a rectangular nave and a rectangular chancel on the eastern side. From the west, a four-sided, lower than today, tower was added. At the southern entrance to the church, the porch was built. In the western part of the southern wall of the nave there is an ogival, one-light window from the 14th century. Similar window in the eastern part is already a copy. Inside the presbytery you can see a roof truss dated to the 15th century.
Wooding J., Yates N., A Guide to the churches and chapels of Wales, Cardiff 2011.
Website britishlistedbuildings.co.uk, Church of St Mary the Blessed Virgin A Grade II Listed Building in St Fagans, Cardiff.
Website coflein.gov.uk, St Mary’s church, St Fagans.