It is not known when exactly the church in Old St Mellons was erected, but it must have happened before 1254, when it was first recorded in historical documents. Perhaps the Normans built it after the conquest of England and gave the call of Saint Mellonius, bishop of Rouen from the early 4th century, who allegedly was born in this region of Wales. The original church was thoroughly rebuilt in the 14th century. Renovations from the nineteenth century, carried out among others, by the well-known architect George Gilbert Scott, did not violate the medieval, historic form of the church.
The church consists of a rectangular nave, also rectangular in plan, but a lower chancel, a tower located unusually in the middle of the south wall of the nave and the southern aisle east of the tower. On the north side of the chancel, the chapel was added, and to the south wall of the nave, the porch. Most of the preserved elements were erected in the English decorated and perpendicular gothic style. The few after medieval transformations touched the windows of the northern chapel.
Website archwilio.org.uk, St Mellon’s church at St Mellons.
Website wikipedia.org, St Mellons Church.