Date of construction of the church of St. Mary in Nash is not known, however, the beginnings of the building probably dates back to the Norman conquest in the twelfth century. In the fourteenth century it belonged to the Goldcliff Abbey, also served as the parish church. In the fifteenth century, the church was extended, then a tower with a lofty spire was erected, and subsequent reconstructions were carried out in the 16th century. In 1792, the northern nave was demolished, and in the nineteenth century the nave and the chancel were thoroughly rebuilt.
The church consists of a rectangular nave and a rectangular, but smaller and narrower chancel. Both of these parts have been considerably rebuilt in the 19th century, currently most of the medieval fabric is located in the north wall of the presbytery, where the so-called lepers’ window has been preserved, that is a hole allowing to view a part of the church with an altar. The northern wall of the nave has visible remnants of the existing side aisle. The tower from the fifteenth century was placed quite unusually, because from the north, at the intersection of the nave and chancel. It has buttresses, it is crowned with a lofty spire, and from the south-eastern side has a turret with a staircase.
Wooding J., Yates N., A Guide to the churches and chapels of Wales, Cardiff 2011.
Website wikipedia.org, St Mary’s Church, Nash.