The first reference to the church in Maudlam appeared in 1255 and probably shortly before that date the church was erected. The church tower is clearly visible from the sea and has served as a navigational point for seamen for centuries. In 1878 the nave was renovated, and in 1894 the chancel was thoroughly rebuilt, and the rest of the church was restored.
The church was built as a relatively simple building, consisting of a rectangular, long nave and a narrower and shorter, rectangular chancel on the eastern side. Probably at the end of the 13th century, a four-sided tower was added from the west, crowned with a parapet, corbels on two sides and a battlement. From the west, the tower was preceded by a porch in the 15th century.
Among the elements of the medieval church, the largest early modern construction works affected the chancel and the chancel arch separating it from the nave. All the windows in the southern wall of the nave were also replaced due to the insertion of an organ gallery. Inside the church there is a 13th-century Norman baptismal font, probably from the Kenfig church.
Salter M., The old parish churches of Gwent, Glamorgan & Gower, Malvern 2002.
Website kenfig.org.uk, Maudlam Church dedicated to St.Mary Magdalene (Built c.1255).