The present church of St. David in Llywel comes from the fifteenth century, although its origins may be much earlier, as indicated by, among other, preserved early medieval font. The original parish church was founded by Saint Llywel and was consecrated to David, Padarin and Teilo, which gave origin to the alternative name of Llantrisant (Three Saints). The chronicler Gerald of Wales noted the fire of the Llywel temple in the 12th century. The nave and chancel of today’s structure was erected around 1480, the tower perhaps even in the fourteenth century, but it was rebuilt in the next century. In the 16th century, the porch was added. The church was restored in 1869 and in the years 1877-1878.
The church consists of a rectangular, longitudinal nave, a narrower, rectangular chancel on the east side, a tower on the west side and a porch from the 16th century, erected at the southern wall of the nave. The four-sided tower is topped with a parapet on protruding corbels and battlement. From the south-east side has a turret with a staircase. The nave in the north-eastern part has a small projection, which once housed the passage to the no longer existing rood loft. The church can be proud of a very small number of changes from the nineteenth century. Inside, you can see two stones from the 5th and 6th centuries with engraved ogham and Latin inscriptions and stocks from the late 18th century.
Website britainexpress.com, Llywel, St David’s Church.
Website coflein.gov.uk, St David’s church, St Teilo’s church, Llywel or Llantrisant.