Llanllowell – St Llywel’s Church


Church of St. Llywel in Llanllowell probably dates back to the 13th century. In 1872 it was significantly rebuilt.


The church is a small and simple building on a rectangular plan with a porch from the south. Inside it, two stone medieval benches have been preserved. The western facade has a small, slit window with an early medieval design. On the southern side there are two windows in the prependicular gothic style, rebuilt in the 19th century, a narrow portal to the chancel and a stone projection with a small opening, containing stairs inside. The eastern wall has another window, transformed in the nineteenth century, and a small buttress along the entire ground part. The northern side, apart from windows from the Victorian era, also has one small, early medieval opening.

show this monument on map

return to alphabetical index

Website britishlistedbuildings.co.uk, Church of Saint Llywel A Grade II Listed Building in Llantrisant Fawr, Monmouthshire.