The church was erected in the 13th century and then thoroughly restored and probably expanded at the end of the 15th or the beginning of the 16th century. It was mentioned for the first time in a document from 1254. In the 17th century, the porch and the belfry were added. The building underwent minor renovations in the 19th and 20th centuries.
The original church building was probably smaller than today’s, but it consisted of a rectangular nave and chancel, forming one whole and covered with one roof. In the fifteenth and sixteenth century, the walls were raised, and the building was enlarged towards the west. The roof was replaced then, and the current one was dendrochronologically dated to the years 1502-1539. The porch on the south side is an early modern addition. Inside, the rood screen was separated the nave from the presbytery, but now only some of its medieval fragments are preserved.
Wooding J., Yates N., A Guide to the churches and chapels of Wales, Cardiff 2011.
Website coflein.gov.uk, St Celynnin’s church, Llangelynnin.