Beginnings of the church of St. Celynnin in Llangelynnin dates back to the twelfth or thirteenth century, when probably today’s nave was created. In the fifteenth centuries, the church was gradually expanded, first the easter part, and then the northern transept called Capel Meibion, or the chapel of men. It was created so that men could participate in mass in a place separated from women, or because of the desire to separate alien visitors or sick people. In the sixteenth century, the southern transept was also added, however, it was demolished in the 19th century. The church underwent a thorough renovation in 1932 and 1987.
Originally, the church consisted of a rectangular aisleless nave. Probably in the fourteenth century, a presbytery was added, but it was not distinguished from the outside from the older part of the building, and was covered with a common gable roof with the nave. In the 15th century, the northern arm of the transept or a chapel was added, and a century later, the southern transept. In the 15th century, a porch was also erected at the south-west entrance to the nave with an rare opening in the wall for viewing the interior (a squint window).
Picturesquely situated among fields and moors, the church has only partially preserved its medieval appearance, as the southern arm of the transept has not survived. Only the window on the eastern side of the presbytery has retained its form from the 15th century, and the eastern window of the chapel has its 16th-century shape. Probably the late-medieval roof truss inside is also preserved.
Salter M., The old parish churches of North Wales, Malvern 1993.
Wooding J., Yates N., A Guide to the churches and chapels of Wales, Cardiff 2011.
Website wikipedia.org, Llangelynnin.