The beginnings of the church of St. Michael in Llanfihangel Nant Brân are unknown, it can only be assumed that it was built as a simple village temple in the 13th century, during the intensive development of the Welsh parish network. The church tower was built in the 16th century, at the nave, which was completely rebuilt in 1882.
The original church probably consisted of a rectangular nave and an externally not separated chancel, which were covered by a common gable roof. The original windows were rather narrow openings, possibly topped with trefoils, perhaps grouped into two-light windows like a preserved opening in the south wall. At the turn of the 15th and 16th centuries, they were transformed in the English Perpendicular Gothic style. The entrance led through a simple, pointed portal on the south side, later preceded by a porch. The tower, added in the 16th century, received a massive, low and squat form, with a square turret for a staircase on the south-eastern side. The tower was opened towards the nave with an ogival arcade.
Salter M., The old parish churches of Mid-Wales, Malvern 1997.
Website cpat.demon.co.uk, Church of St Michael , Llanfihangel Nant Bran.