St. Baglan’s church in Llanfaglan was built in the 13th century, but the cemetery surrounding the building and the stones from the 5th and 6th centuries in its structure, indicate that it was built on the site of a much older temple, which according to tradition is attributed to a saint from the 7th century, Baglan ap Dingad. At the end of the 16th or at the beginning of the 17th century, a chapel was added on the southern side. In 1800 the chancel was rebuilt, and the porch on the north side was added, but perhaps with the use of timber from the old chancel.
The church consists of a rectangular nave and a non-externally separated chancel, covered with a common roof, the chapel on the south and modern porch from the north side. The nave has no windows, and the chancel has only one, two-light on the east side. It comes from the fourteenth century and was re-embedded during the reconstruction of the nineteenth century. The chapel, also described as the southern transept, is illuminated with a window on the south and east sides. A lintel consisting of stone with an inscription from the 6th century is located above the entrance portal. Inside, the walls are plastered and whitewashed; similar to wood of roof truss. The floor is lined with shale plates. There is no division between the nave and the presbytery, and the transept is completely open to the rest of the church. From the original equipment one can see a baptismal font from the 13th or 14th century.
Website coflein.gov.uk, St Baglan’s church enclosure complex.
Website wikipedia.org, St Baglan’s Church, Llanfaglan.