The church of St. David in Llanddew is considered the oldest church in Brecknockshire, probably from the 13th century. According to a local legend, Saint Eluned, daughter of Brychan, escaped here from an unwanted competitor around 500 and led the life of a nun until rejected competitor found her and cut off her head. The head of the saint was supposed to roll down the slope and stop by the yew, next to which a miraculous spring appeared, which became a place of pilgrimage. This well exists to this day.
The church was rebuilt in the first half of the seventeenth century, then a tower was erected or rebuilt at the intersection of naves. After two hundred years it was mostly in ruins, only the nave was used. Renovation combined with a partial reconstruction, which mainly affected the western façade, was carried out in the 19th century and at the beginning of the 20th century. At that time a porch was raised on the south side.
The building was erected on a cruciform plan with a nave, chancel and two transepts. The oldest part is probably the nave, its pierced, like the chancel and transept, with narrow, lancet windows, mostly from the 13th century. The tower at the intersection of the naves was added or significantly rebuilt in 1629. Inside, of the medieval equipment, two stoups, a baptismal font and two carved lintels have been preserved.
Wooding J., Yates N., A Guide to the churches and chapels of Wales, Cardiff 2011.
Website britainexpress.com, Llanddew, St David.