The church of St. Tanwg in Llandanwg was built in the 13th century, but it probably was created on the site of an earlier temple from the 5th/6th century. In the fifteenth century, the building was enlarged, and the chancel was separated by a rood screen. In the 17th century, the church was renovated, unfortunately transforming some of the windows. The rood screen was also removed and the medieval wall polychromes were painted over. In the first half of the nineteenth century, after the construction of a new parish church in nearby Harlech, the church of St. Tanwg was abandoned. It was only in 1884 that it was renovated, combined with removal of the sand from the dunes and the foundation of a new roof.
The church is a simple building erected on a rectangular plan with dimensions of 17 to 7 meters, without an externally separate chancel. In the fifteenth century, it was extended to the east, and the new area was designated on the presbytery, which was separated by inserting inside the rood screen. The original entrance to the building, today blocked, was on the south side, another, but early modern is on the west side. On the north and south side of the chancel there are windows from the fifteenth century, the other windows in the nave are early modern openings. The eastern wall had a rather unusual, high window from the fifteenth century, replaced in the eighteenth century by a smaller one. Inside the church, a partially medieval roof truss, traces of mural paintings and a Celtic cross from about the ninth century have been preserved.
Wooding J., Yates N., A Guide to the churches and chapels of Wales, Cardiff 2011.
Website archwilio.org.uk, Llandanwg Parish Church, Llanfair.
Website coflein.gov.uk, St Tanwg’s church, Llandanwg.