The church in Crickadarn was created as a small, rural temple in the 13th century. In the fifteenth and at the beginning of the sixteenth century it was rebuilt, then the porch and anex the tower were added. From the time of the Reformation, the building probably began to decline, so that at the beginning of the 19th century it was already in a very bad condition. The church was renovated twice in the 19th century (in 1867 and in 1895), and again at the beginning of the 20th century.
The original church from the 13th century was an aisleless building on a rectangular plan, without an externally separated chancel. It was covered above the whole with a gable roof. In the late Middle Ages, a stone and wood porch was added on the south side of the nave and a tower on the west side, topped with battlement and equipped with a turret with a staircase in the corner.
Despite numerous early modern renovations, the church has retained its medieval shape and, moreover, a valuable porch with 15th-century wooden elements. One window from the 13th century, two south windows from the 14th century and the eastern window from the 15th century also have survived.
Salter M., The old parish churches of Mid-Wales, Wolverhampton 1997.
Website britainexpress.com, Crickadarn, St Mary’s Church.
Website cpat.demon.co.uk, Church of St Mary , Crickadarn.