The church was built in 1180 as a chapel for a larger temple of St. Mary, founded by the Benedictines of the Tewkesbury Abbey. In 1404 during the Welsh rebellion of Owain Glyndŵr, it was seriously damaged. For this reason, in the second half of the fifteenth century (1453) it was repaired and rebuilt on the occasion. At that time, a tower on the west side was erected in the style of the English perpendicular gothic. From the seventeenth century, it served as a parish church. In the nineteenth century, its significant expansion was made, adding an additional outer north and south aisle and sacristy.
The church from the fifteenth century consisted of a five-span, three-nave corpus, a four-span chancel and a western tower. The tower, which from the fifteenth century is one of the most characteristic places in the city, is an outstanding example of a perpendicular gothic. It has corner, multi-stepped buttresses, ogival windows with tracery and the finial in the form of decorative battlement with traceries and pinnacles. From the north-east side, a spiral staircase was placed in the smaller turret.
Wooding J., Yates N., A Guide to the churches and chapels of Wales, Cardiff 2011.
Website wikipedia.org, St John the Baptist Church, Cardiff.