The church in Camrose was first mentioned in written sources in 1291 in Taxatio Ecclesiastica, a list of church property created for tax purposes. In the fourteenth or fifteenth century it was rebuilt and enlarged by side chapels and a tower. Early modern renovations were carried out in 1877-1883 and in 1883-1884. During this time, the tower’s battlement was reconstructed, and the nave windows and the northern portal were replaced. The oak roof truss also did not avoid replacing. In 2000, the church was affected by fire, after which it was renovated a year later.
The church is an exceptionally long building consisting of a four-bay nave on a rectangular plan, a three-bay chancel closed from the east by a straight wall and a two-storey tower on the west side. On the southern and northern sides, originally there were yet transept chapels, built in the 14th or 15th century. In the northern corner of the tower in the 16th century a massive staircase was placed, and the whole was topped with a parapet and battlement on protruding corbels. A channel ended with a 15th-century gargoyle served for the outflow of rainwater. Inside the chancel, a 14th-century piscina with a ogee arch top was placed, while in a fragment of the wall at the chancel arch was put an early medieval stone.
Website britishlistedbuildings.co.uk, Church of St Ishmael A Grade II* Listed Building in Camrose, Pembrokeshire.
Website coflein.gov.uk, St Ismael’s Church, Camrose.