The original small Celtic chapel was founded on the site of the church of St. David in the 6th century. After the founding of a Norman priory on Caldey around 1131, the monks rebuilt the Celtic chapel, including the older temple into the nave of the new church. Throughout the Middle Ages, the church of St. David was strongly associated with the priory, so when Henry VIII dissoluted the convent in the sixteenth century, the church declined. It was used for secular purposes, and for some time it served as a local forge. It was restored only in 1823 by Cabot Kynaston, and subsequent changes took place after the re-establishment of the Caldey Abbey in the early 20th century. From this period come, among others new stained glasses in church windows.
The church was erected on a hill above the village. It is a small, simple building consisting of a rectangular in plan nave and a chancel in the east. A porch leads to the nave from the west side, above which there is a round window opening and a bellcote for a single bell. On the eastern side, the church ends with a chancel, narrower and shorter than the rectangular nave.
Wooding J., Yates N., A Guide to the churches and chapels of Wales, Cardiff 2011.
Website britainexpress.com, Caldey Island, St David’s Church.