Bryn Cader Faner is a circle of vertical stones (cairns) from the Bronze Age, probably from the end of the third millennium BC. The Celtic name probably means “a hill with a chair with a banner” or “a hill of the throne with a flag”. This place was damaged by treasure hunters in the 19th century, who left a hole in the center, indicating the location of the cemetery or grave. Unfortunately, additional damage was done before World War II, when the British army removed some stones on the eastern side, and the others used as shooting targets.
The diameter of the circle, consisting of 18 vertically arranged stones, is 8.7 meters. They were placed on a small burial mound (cairn) made of small pebbles, inside which a cist was placed. All the stones in the circle are now strongly inclined towards the outside, in a characteristic shape similar to teeth. Originally, the stones could have been around 30, each of which had a length of about 2 meters.
The stone circle has been preserved in a surprisingly good condition, even despite the damages done in modern times. It is considered one of the most impressive megalithic monuments in Wales. Admission to its area is free, but to see it, you have to walk about 6.5 km through a partly swampy area.
Castleden R., Neolithic Britain: New Stone Age sites of England, Scotland and Wales, London 1992.
The Royal Commission on The Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions in Wales and Monmouthshire. An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments in Wales and Monmouthshire. County of Merioneth, London 1921.