Bridgend – Old Bridge

History

It is believed that the Old Bridge (Yr Hen Bont) in Bridgend was built around 1425. References to the bridge come from 1444 and 1452. Until it was built, travelers crossed the river on the north ford, between the settlements of Oldcastle, Nolton and Newcastle. The city that developed at the eastern end of the bridge was named Bridgend and began to absorb the above settlements. In 1775, the flood destroyed the west riverbank, damaging the two arches of the bridge on the west side of the river. They were then rebuilt, as a single double span arch. Subsequent arches disappeared when the city buildings entered the river bank. The eastern end of the bridge was connected to the rear buildings, which were erected before 1830. In 1920, the traffic of motor vehicles was closed on the bridge, leaving it as a footbridge.

 

Architecture

The original medieval structure was a five-span structure with three river arches built of voussoirs and smaller flood arches on each bank. Sterlings had straight, pointed shapes. The two visible arches span 13.7 meters on the western side and 6.9 meters on the eastern side of the bridge.

show this monument on map

return to alphabetical index

bibliography:
Website wikipedia.org, Old Bridge, Bridgend.