The church of St. Michael in Bosherston was built at the end of the 13th century on the site of an earlier temple. It was mentioned for the first time in documents in 1291. In the fifteenth century, it was enlarged by adding a western tower and extending the chancel to the east by one span. In 1855, it was renovated by Count Cawdor of the Stackpole Court, in whose lands it was located. The northern sacristy and the southern porch were also added at that time.
The church was erected on a cruciform plan and consists of a short, rectangular nave, a narrower, rectangular chancel on the east side, a towering three-story tower on the west side and small transepts from the north and south. The southern transept is connected by a diagonal passage from the chancel, the northern squint of the transept has not survived. The 13th-century chancel was originally shorter by one span. It was extended in the fifteenth century, when the tower was also added. The north sacristy and the southern porch are modern additions. The original Norman windows were replaced in the nineteenth century by larger neo-gothic ones, the original, narrow and longitudinal window openings are preserved only in the tower. Among the original equipment the Norman baptismal font, the tomb of Princess Buckingham in the northern transept and the 14th century tomb of an unknown crusader in the southern transept has preserved.
Website britishlistedbuildings.co.uk, St. Michael and All Angel’s Church. A Grade II Listed Building in Stackpole, Pembrokeshire.
Website wikipedia.org, Bosherston.