The church in Amroth was erected in the 12th century on the site of an earlier pre-Norman temple. In 1150, it was handed over to the order of the Knights Hospitaller from the nearby commandry in Slebech. In the 13th century and again in the 15th century it was rebuilt, probably by John Elliot, who added a family chapel to the church. Another thorough reconstruction was carried out in 1855, but fortunately it did not included the original walls, tower, ceilings and chapel, but the nave was extended to the west. In the nineteenth century, almost all the windows were transformed except the openings placed in the tower, also a porch was added.
Built on a cruciform plan, the church consists of a two-bay chancel, originally a two-bay, currently four-bay nave, two-bay northern chapel, a three-story tower, a two-bay vestry and a neo-gothic southern porch. The north transept is the basis for the tower. It is devoid of buttresses, equipped with a battlement on prominent corbels and a corner turret with stairs and slotted holes. The western bays of the chancel and eastern bays of the nave come from the 13th century, the southern transept dates back to the 14th century. The northern chapel was founded in the middle of the 16th century, as a family tomb of the owners of the nearby Amroth castle.
Website britishlistedbuildings.co.uk, St Elidyr’s Church. A Grade II Listed Building in Amroth, Pembrokeshire.
Website coflein.gov.uk, St Elidyr’s church, Amroth.