In 1245, landowner Ján Sigray received permission from the provost of Spiš, Matej to build a church in the village. It was built up to 1275. A little later, probably at the end of the 13th century, on the west side, a church tower was added. At the end of the fourteenth century, the interior was decorated with valuable frescoes, and the nave received a vault, supported by a central column. In 1563, the church was taken over by Protestants, Catholics were returned only after 1638, when the village became the property of Csáks. At the same time, murals were restored, as evidenced by the inscription on the north wall from 1638. In 1652, the church was rebuilt in the baroque style, the changes mainly affected the interior. In the 18th century, before the main entrance, a porch and today’s sacristy were added, replacing the older and smaller ones. The paintings in the nave were rediscovered in 1870, and the first archaeological excavations took place in the church in 1884. In the years 1956-1959, medieval frescoes were restored. Since 1993, the church and castle in Spiš, the Spišská Kapitula and Spišské Podhradie has been on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
The original church from the 13th century was a small, early-gothic structure consisting of an elongated, single-nave corpus, a square presbytery and a northern sacristy. Still in the Middle Ages, a tower was added from the west, and the nave received a vault, supported by a central column, which transformed the church into a two-nave structure. The interior was covered with wall polychromes. First, in the 14th century, the presbytery and tympanum of the southern portal were decorated, and at the turn of the 14th and 15th centuries, two walls of naves were decorated.
Website apsida.sk, Žehra.