Castle Teplice probably was erected in the second half of the 13th century. At that time it guarded the road to Banska Štiavnica. It was mentioned as “Castle Thoplicze” for the first time in 1456, when Jan Hunyadi bought it from Jan Jiskra’s army. After the repair it was returned to its rightful owner, who was then the Bishop of Esztergom. During the war with Matthias Corvinus in 1471, it was captured by Polish troops, which by the way damaged it. Damages were repaired, and in 1489-1490, for the money of Banská Štiavnica, castle were modernized and adapted to the use of hand powder-arms. In the 16th century it functioned as one of the elements of signal watchtowers. It is known that still in 1602, the Pustý Hrad Castle was still standing, but it was already abandoned. Its destruction accelerated the demolition for building material for a nearby church, in the 19th century.
The castle originally consisted of a four-sided tower on the southern side and eastern residential house (5.1 x 3.9 meters), occupying together a flattened top of the hill (35 x 25 to 45 meters) which was reinforced by a defensive wall. At the courtyard, next to the tower dominated over the access road, there was a water tank carved in rock. From the north, the road led through wooden fortifications and a ditch that protected the outer bailey. The second ditch had to be overcome to enter the upper castle courtyard. In the fifteenth century, from the north, a second fortified ward was built with a new building and a corner tower protruding on a rocky promontory.
Extension from the second half of the fifteenth century, can be connected with the far foreground fortifications, located about 450 meters south of the castle. They had an oval shape measuring 27 x 15 meters surrounded by an earth rampart and a ditch. Perhaps the fortifications were the remains of a fortified camp of the army besieging the castle, which in this way insulated the local garrison.
The castle has not survived to modern times. Only earth ramparts and stone fragments of foundations are visible. Admission to the forested area of the former castle is free.
Bóna M., Plaček M., Encyklopedie slovenských hradů, Praha 2007.
Wasielewski A., Zamki i zamczyska Słowacji, Białystok 2008.