The defensive features of Mount Sitno have already been noticed in the first centuries of our era by the Celts of the Quadi tribe who built a huge stronghold here. It also teeming with life during the Great Moravian period. Probably its wood and earth ramparts served as a shelter for the inhabitants of the surrounding villages also in later centuries. In the middle of the 11th century, a stone castle was erected in the eastern, rocky part of the hill. The sources are mentioned it only in 1458, in relation with the actions of the royal army against Melchior Balassa, the owner of Sitno, a plunderer on a daily basis. During the wars with Turks, Sitno was part of the defense and signaling system of mining towns. In the years 1646-1652 its fortifications were strengthened, from this period comes, among others, barbican. In 1629, the castle, together with the estate comprising seven villages, became the property of the Koharyi family. Later, the property was taken over by the Coburgs, who remained the lords of the castle until its end. In 1703, Sitno was occupied by insurgents of Francis Rakoczi, who after withdrew in 1710, blew the castle into the air.
The castle consisted of a residential and defensive part located on a rock and an economic ward on the flattening of land to the south and west of the rock. Stairs carved into the rock led to the upper castle, and the whole was surrounded by a defensive wall with an irregular, polygonal shape. Some of the walls were built on the ramparts of the older hillfort; rock formations were also used and the castle was incorporated into them. Its main and oldest element was a four-sided tower and a residential building north of it. On the western side of the castle, the only easily accessible, a moat was carved in the rock, before which the gate was placed, protected by a semicircular tower, in the 15th / 16th century transformed into a five-sided cannon tower. The western ward were protected by a 5-meter-wide ditch, and later also with stone fortifications with a four-sided gatehouse.
Only foundations and small fragments of walls have remained from the castle, mostly not exceeding 1 meter in height. The southern, economic part of the castle remains overgrown with vegetation. Entrance to the ruins is free.
Bóna M., Plaček M., Encyklopedie slovenských hradů, Praha 2007.
Wasielewski A., Zamki i zamczyska Słowacji, Białystok 2008.