The church was founded in a village belonging to the Cistercian abbey of Spišský Štiavnik around the middle of the 14th century. The first written mention of the construction can be found in the document from 1398, in which the church obtained 40 days of indulgence for all pilgrims who visit it. Although there is no direct, written information, it is likely that in the invasion of 1433, the Hussites plundered and burned the temple. The church and the village remained the property of the Cistercians until the fall of the monastery in Spišský Štiavnik in the 1630s. During the Reformation it passed into the hands of Protestants, who used it until the second half of the 17th century. At the end of the 17th century, the church was again Catholic, but it was in poor condition. Repairs were carried out in the eighteenth and then in the nineteenth century. A major renovation was made in 1970-1972.
The church from the fourteenth century was a typical building of that period with a long nave, square chancel and a tower on the west side. On the northern side, the sacristy was erected next to the presbytery. The roof of the tower obtained its shape in the 16th century. The original entrance portal was located in the south wall of the nave, it is now walled up. The chancel has a rib vault.
Website apsida.sk, Mengusovce.