The temple was built around 1260 in a dominant position on a hill on the eastern slope of the Monk Mountain. It served as a parish church for the nearby towns of Likava and Lisková, as the village of Martinček was founded at the church until several centuries later. Around 1320, the entire interior was decorated with valuable frescoes. They were destroyed in the seventeenth century, because this object was used by Protestants. Subsequent changes were made in the 18th and in the second half of the 19th century. Then, new windows were installed on the south side of the nave and presbytery, and the building was reinforced with buttresses. The last renovation took place in the years 1993 – 1998, and then in the years 1999-2002 and in 2006, when the frescoes were discovered and their restaurant was completed.
At the time of the erecting, the church was a typical early gothic building with a long nave and a straight-ended, square chancel with a rib vault. It is not clear whether in the first stage there was already a western tower or it was added in the fourteenth century. In this century, a rectangular sacristy was erected from the north. The series of murals in the presbytery is one of the best preserved in Slovakia and probably the oldest of its kind in Liptov. Stylistically, these are late romanesque polychromes with a strong Byzantine influence.
Website apsida.sk, Martinček.