A small castle was probably built on the initiative of zupan Donch at the beginning of the fourteenth century, although some have move its rise at the end of the previous century. In 1341, the first written mention of the castle appears in the sources. It function under the name Wywar (Ujvar), and in several documents it was referred to as Novum Castrum. It protected the trade route known as Via Magna and a ferry on the Belá River. Some historians assume that there was a wooden building here before, probably a tower. Other scholars tend to think that the zupan Donch added a castle to an existing, much older stone watchtower. The results of archaeological excavations are in favor of the second version.
In 1433, the castle was taken over and then destroyed by Hussites. In the following decades, the crew consisted of troops of John Jiskra. Until the mid-15th century, it belonged to the royal estates. Later the castle owned, as a donation or pledge, many owners, among others Pangrancy, Zápolya, Thurzon, Ballas. Magdalena Zayova contributed the most to the reconstruction of the castle. In the years 1600-1603, she built a large renaissance mansion, with two wings covering the older part of the building from the west and north. She has also modernized the defense walls.
In 1709, during the rebellion of Francis II Rákóczi, a two-day battle took place near Liptovský Hrádek. The castle found itself on the line of Austrian fortifications and suffered greatly as a result of the shelling. However the destruction was soon repaired, and the building became imperial property. In 1762, the seat of offices dealing with mining, metallurgy and forestry in Liptov was placed here. After the fire in 1803, only the manor house was renovated, in which the administration of the Hradec-Likava state was established, and the medieval castle remained in ruin.
The castle was erected on a five-meter limestone rock. It consisted of a residential building and two towers on its sides, it was a construction scheme often repeated in the Bohemia and today’s Slovakia. Below the rock, the castle since the fifteenth century was surrounded by an additional defensive wall. In the western part of the outer ward, a two-chamber building was erected, and a corner tower was erected from the opposite, eastern side. In the small courtyard there was a well supplying the castle with water. Also in the fifteenth century, another perimeter wall surrounding the castle was built, and the whole was protected by a moat, powered by the Váh river. The entrance was placed on the west side, secured by a foregate with a tower.
The castle is currently in the form of a well-preserved ruin. Only the northern part of the residential house and the upper parts of the eastern tower have not survived. The property is privately owned and unfortunately it can only be viewed from the outside. Repairs carried out in recent years, allow you to hope that this will change in the future.
Bóna M., Plaček M., Encyklopedie slovenských hradů, Praha 2007.
Wasielewski A., Zamki i zamczyska Słowacji, Białystok 2008.