In the thirteenth century, a romanesque church and a charnel house were erected on the castle hill. After the foundation of the city and setting up the mint in 1328, the administrator of royal estates was located in the city. He became the head of the so-called The Mining Chamber, covering the area of the 12 Upper Hungary counties. On behalf of the king he managed the mines, supervised the extraction and transport of ore and was responsible for the quality of the minted coins. As most of the mined gold and silver was flowing through Kremnica, this important place needed special protection. In the 14th century, the hill with the church was fortified. Within the stronghold, the town hall was also built. The Kremnica castle was one of those strongholds that were never captured. Unfortunately, the 19th century reconstruction, due to damage caused by earthquakes, led to the reduction of the castle walls and the town hall building.
The castle consisted of a double ring of walls reinforced with four towers, separated an internal ward of approximately 55 x 70 meters with a centrally located St. Catherine’s church. The entrance gate was situated on the north side in a square tower with three floors. Originally it was lower by one floor, the highest was added after a fire in 1560. The passing led through the drawbridge over the moat. From the west side was the Little Tower, also known as the Clock Tower. It was established in the middle of the 13th century and at the beginning was lower by two floors. One floor was added in the fourteenth century, and another one in the seventeenth century. From the eastern side, the defense was provided by the Miners Tower, called also Bańska Tower. When in the fifteenth century, the former church was turned into the seat of an official, in the tower a chapel was arranged. Tower was a presbytery, and from the west a nave was built, which was liquidated after the construction of the gothic church of St. Catherine. The last tower was located on the southern side. Next to it, within the castle walls, a town hall was located, which also served defensive functions.
The double ring of castle walls has been preserved almost entirely, with only a small break in the eastern part of the inner wall. Unfortunately, during the nineteenth-century reconstruction was reduced by 1-2 meters. The castle towers also survived and partly the town hall in the form of basements and ground floor with gothic portals and window frames. The castle is part of the town museum. Opened between 9-12 and 13-16.30, every day except Mondays. On its premises, there are exhibitions of bell-founding, archeology and militaria.
Bóna M., Plaček M., Encyklopedie slovenských hradů, Praha 2007.
Wasielewski A., Zamki i zamczyska Słowacji, Białystok 2008.