Charnel was erected at the end of 13th or in the first half of the 14th century. In the gothic period, the upper chapel was added to it, and the interior was decorated with wall paintings. From this period there are also gothic windows with stone tracery and an entrance portal. The rebuilt chapel was to be consecrated in 1423 and again due to the murder committed in it in 1431. As a chapel, the rotunda was used until the 16th century, and then until the 18th century it served as an armory. In 1731, it was once again dedicated, and again served for liturgical purposes. In the eighties and nineties of the last century, research and renovation works were carried out here.
Charnel is a two-storey rotunda consisting of a lower morgue and an upper chapel with a six-field, rib vaults, in the lower part with a solid six-sided boss. From the north-west side of the chapel is a very small room in the thickness of the walls, which apparently served as a sacristy. Charnel is directly connected to one of the town castle’s tower. The windows and the entrance portal were transformed into gothic in the 15th century – larger, ogival and with tracery. Medieval frescoes in the chapel depict the life of the martyr St. Erasmus, including some drastic torture scenes.
Website apsida.sk, Kremnica – karner.
Website muzeumkremnica.sk, Karner.