The temple was built in the late gothic style in the years 1380-1508, in the place of the former parish church of St. Michael, which burned down in a fire from 1380. The origins of this oldest temple date back to the 11th century. It was mentioned for the first time in sources in 1230, and a dozen years later, when the German colonists settled in Košice, its patron changed to St. Elizabeth. In the middle of the thirteenth century, the church was partially rebuilt in the gothic style, but as already mentioned burned down in the second half of the fourteenth century.
The new church, whose construction was started after 1380, was already a unique building in the Middle Ages, because of its size and form for the entire Kingdom of Hungary. Its construction was financed by rich burghers, with the support of king Sigismund of Luxemburg. Additionally, in 1402 Pope Boniface IX issued a bull, thanks to which all the pilgrims who contributed to the construction of the church, had forgiven sins. The first stage of construction probably lasted until 1420. During its works walls were built on the southern and western sides and the first two floors of the western towers. In the years 1420-1440, an octagonal superstructure of the Sigismund’s tower and walls on the north side were made. During this period, finally the remains of the old church of St. Michael were demolished. In the years 1440-1462 the vaults were created, and subsequent works until the end of the fifteenth century were carried out under the supervision of master Stephan Lapicidus and master Stephan Staimecz from Košice. The aisles were then completed and the chapels of Holy Cross, St. Mary and finally the chapel of St. Joseph on the northern side. After the death of king Matthias Corvinus, during the fights for the Hungarian Crown, Košice was fired by the Polish-Lithuanian army. The damaged cathedral was repaired in the years 1496-1498, and until 1508 the chancel was completed. This date is considered as the end of medieval construction works.
Unfortunately, the Košice cathedral often suffered losses due to disasters. Fires in the years 1556 and 1775 caused numerous damages to the building. In addition, in 1706 the church was damaged by the troops of Francis II Rákóczi. During one of the renovations, in 1775 the tower of Sigismund received a new baroque helmet. The earthquake of 1834 and the hurricane of 1875 forced the temple to be completely renovated. The most important renovation works were carried out in the years 1877 – 1896. In their course the form of the cathedral was changed from three-nave to five-nave, as it was considered that a larger number of pillars would improve the static properties of the building. Vaults in side aisles have also been changed, the late gothic chapel of St. Joseph was completely removed, a neo-gothic tower was erected at the crossing of the naves, and some pinnacles and gargoyles were removed, as it threatened to collapse on pedestrians. In 1970, the cathedral was recognized as a national cultural monument, thanks to which a few years later comprehensive renovation works began. According to available documents and projects found in the archives, crowns of the gables, gargoyles and other details of architectural decor were than reconstructed.
The cathedral in Košice was erected as a three-nave building with a transept and a polygonal chancel on the eastern side. The side aisles also received polygonal closures. In the southern part of the temple there is a chapel, a porch and above it a royal oratory. The entrance to it was placed in a gothic spiral staircase, modeled on the communications turret from the St. Vitus Cathedral in Prague, built by the famous master architect Peter Parler. On the north side a sacristy was placed next to the presbytery. The west façade was topped with a triangular gable and two towers: the southern one called Matthias Tower (in honor of king Matthias Corvinus), which dates from 1461, and the soaring northern one called Sigismund’s Tower from 1420-1462, whose four-sided base passes above the third floor in octagon. A curiosity of Matthias‘s Tower is a maze of round, connected stairs. Its meaning has not been clarified. The walls of the cathedral on the outside are strengthened with buttresses, which are crowned with pinnacles.
Several gothic portals lead to the interior of the cathedral, of which the most precious is the northern one, decorated with bas-reliefs of the Last Judgment, the Life of Saint Elizabeth and Crucifixion. It is also called the Golden Gate, as it was gilded in the Middle Ages. It has been uniquely embellished probably because of facing toward the richest part of the town – the market. Portals from the west and south are also interesting. West, although it should normally be the main entrance, has relatively simple decorations. It show Christ in the garden of Gethsemane, the apostles Peter, John and James, and soldiers led by Judas. Above is placed Mary holding the body of Jesus surrounded by Mary Magdalene and Joseph. The southern portal is different from the previous ones as it is placed in the porch under the royal matroneum. The spacious interior of the cathedral is also impressive, covered with stellar vaults supported on massive pillars. The arcades between the aisles, like the chancel arch are pointed.
The most valuable monument in the interior of the temple is the gothic main altar of St. Elizabeth, an outstanding work of medieval Slovak painting, made in 1474-1477, composed of 48 painted scenes. A very valuable monument is also the gothic Crucifixion group from around 1320, placed on the windowsill of the southern oratorio.
The cathedral complex also includes the 14th-century tower of St. Urban, formerly a belfry. 36 gravestones from the 14th-15th century were built into its outer walls. One of them is dated to the 4th century and is attributed to the Roman Empire.
Website zabytkowekoscioly.net, Koszyce, katedra św. Elżbiety.
Website wikipedia.org, St Elisabeth Cathedral.