The castle was built in the middle of the 13th century on the initiative of knight Marcel, who received the surrounding lands from king Bela IV. In 1453, the castle was taken over by bratrzyks rebels, who named it Tabor, in reference to the Hussite movement. In 1462, after the collapse of their movement, the townspeople from nearby Levoča destroyed the stronghold, probably to prevent further robber activity. The castle has never been rebuilt.
The castle consisted of a circumference of the defensive wall defining an irregular, spacious inner courtyard with dimensions of 128 x 103 meters. In the northern curtain of the wall there was a cylindrical tower with a diameter of 8.3 meters, and on the eastern side a gatehouse. Not much is known about internal building, probably it was entirely timber.
The castle has not survived to modern times. Few fragments of its walls are hidden in the bushes that cover the surrounding area.
Bóna M., Plaček M., Encyklopedie slovenských hradů, Praha 2007.