The first building in the area of today’s church was a polygonal, octagonal rotunda, created around 1220. After about 40 years, it was enlarged to the form of the present church. The next reconstructions took place in the baroque period and later in the 19th century. At that time, the sacristy was built on the north side of the chancel. At the beginning of the 1930s, the reconstruction of the tower was considered, but fortunately the authorities did not allow it because of the great value of the church. In the 70s of the last century, research was carried out, the results of which became the basis for the project of reconstruction of the monument in 1979-1981 during which medieval wall paintings were discovered.
The original rotunda was an atypical construction because it was octagonal and had a rich facades decoration. After the demolition of its western walls, it became the chancel of the romanesque church. The new temple was erected as a single-nave building with a tower from the west. The windows in the south wall of the nave have a relatively rare appearance of narrow vertical slits. Inside, in the western part of the nave, there is a simple matroneum with two prismatic pillars, which is accessible from the tower and illuminated with one window.
Website apsida.sk, Hamuliakovo.