The first written mention of the castle dates back to the middle of the 13th century, but the timber building in this place existed already in the twelfth century. Its first known owner was Fulko, after which the town and the castle were probably named. Due to the murder of his relative, falsification of coins and the destruction of the village of Hatvan, he was sentenced to a court duel, and in 1246 king Bela IV confiscated his stronghold. In the 13th and 14th centuries, the castle was mentioned as the royal estate. It was managed by Egidius from the Monoszló family, Miklós Aba and a powerful magnate Matthew III Csák. In the fifteenth century king Sigismund of Luxembourg handed over the castle to queen Barbara, and she gave it in a deposit in 1435 to the Bebek family. Four years later, queen Elisabeth gave the castle to János Perényi. This family came into conflict with the king Matthias Corvinus, and in 1483 the castle was captured by the royal army. In the 16th century it was rebuilt into a renaissance fortress and was part of a defensive line against the Turks. In 1554, Turkish troops managed to get it and keep it for almost 40 years. At that time, it was the seat of the so-called Fiľakovo sandžak. In the seventeenth century, individual parts of the castle were successively rebuilt and modified, among others after the fire in 1615. In 1682, after the invasion of the Thököly army, supported by the Turkish army, the castle burned down again. It has been in ruins since then.
The medieval castle was erected at the top of a volcanic hill, from which the volcanic tuff was used to build a stronghold. The oldest foundation from 1241 consisted of a defensive wall, which separated by the straight wall, the northern, semicircular part of the hill. The entrance was protected by a gatehouse tower on the west side. However, it is not certain exactly where the oldest residential building was located at that time.
In the second half of the thirteenth or early fourteenth century, probably due to damage after an unknown attack, it was decided to rebuild the castle. In the southern part of the upper castle, an elongated, rectangular house was erected, built with the use of an old defensive wall. The gatehouse was also strengthened, the walls of which reached 4 meters thick at the base.
During the late Middle Ages, the former outer bailey was transformed into a terrace of the middle ward, closed by a simple defensive wall. During the reconstruction from 1540 – 1551, the lower ward was enlarged with two massive pentagonal towers/bastions (the western Bebek Tower and the eastern Perényi Tower), and the upper ward with a powerful semi-cylindrical cannon tower. The entrance to the castle took place then through a rocky corridor with carved stairs on the west side of the castle. Around 1600, the defense was strengthened by two more cylindrical towers on the south-eastern and south-western part of the castle.
The castle has been undergoing successive conservation works since 1972. Reconstructed, among others a powerful, pentagonal Bebek Tower, which now houses a museum exhibition. There is a didactic trail leading through the ruins, which allows you to get acquainted with the history of the castle and the geology of the castle hill, which is the remnant of the volcanic crater’s shaft.
Bóna M., Plaček M., Encyklopedie slovenských hradů, Praha 2007.
Šimkovic M., Agócs A., Fil’akovo castle, Fil’akovo, 2014.