The church was erected around 1300, probably with the use of a construction workshop from the Kláštor pod Znievom monastery, and was first recorded in written sources in 1365. During the Reformation from 1581 to 1706, the church was used by Protestants. In 1611, it was rebuilt in the renaissance style, the presbytery and the ground floor of the tower were then given vaults. In 1900, the roof was renovated, and minor adjustments were made in the 20th century.
The church was situated on a hill that dominates the area. At the time of its building, it had one nave, a straight-ended chancel on the eastern side, a tower on the west side and perhaps a northern sacristy. The chancel was not separated from the outer body of the church, only inside the priestly part was separated from the part intended for the congregation by a chancel arcade. Most likely, the external façades of the building were initially smooth, without buttresses, because the church did not have vaults at that time. The nave and presbytery were separated only by two-light windows with rich tracery, set in semi-circular recesses.