The castle was built on the site of older fortifications in the first quarter of the 13th century on a rocky ledge on one of the roads passing by the ridge of the Little Carpathians. It was mentioned in the written sources in 1263. Its location near the Bohemian Road, assigned it to the function of a watchtower. Originally it was a royal property, and at the end of the 14th century it became a property of Stibor of Stiboricz. Later, from 1436, it was already owned by the Országh family. At the end of the sixteenth century, the owners secured the castle, building the outer bailey reinforced with several towers. During the Rakoczi uprising in 1773, the castle was significantly damaged. After making repairs in 1762, it was burned down and only a prison for subjects remained. At the beginning of the 19th century, it began to fall into total ruin.
The oldest part of the castle was made up of an elongated building with a residential house and two four-sided towers placed at its shorter sides. The eastern tower had dimensions 7.7 x 7.7 meters, the western one was slightly larger, with dimensions of 9.2 x 9.8 meters. The thickness of the tower’s walls ranged from 1.9 to 2.5 meters in the ground floor. Both apart from the defensive functions, also had residential functions, although it is not known if this was their purpose from the very beginning. On the eastern side, there was a outer bailey from the 14th-15th centuries that ended with another residential house or perhaps a chapel, as indicated by the three-sided end of the building. The western ward was fortified in the first half of the fifteenth century, and the southern wardy with two cannon towers in the second half of the 16th century. Living space then expanded into a southern building on the upper castle. The western and southern wards served economic functions; the latter also had a small chapel. The outer zone of defense was a dry moat (ditch) and an earth rampart.
The castle is in ruin today. The building has preserved the circumference of the defensive walls of the upper castle, the eastern and western part of the outer baileys, and partly the southern one. From the towers of the upper castle, single walls survived only. Entrance to the castle is free.
Bóna M., Plaček M., Encyklopedie slovenských hradů, Praha 2007.
Wasielewski A., Zamki i zamczyska Słowacji, Białystok 2008.