Brzotín was given in 1243 by king Bela IV to Philip and Detrich from the Akosovce family, for their services during the Tatar invasion. They probably built the first fortifications. In 1293, Brzotín was took over by the Mariássy family, who expanded or built a new defensive – residential site. It guarded the route leading through the valley of Slana from the lower Gemer to mining centers in the Spiš region. In the village there was also a customs where toll was collected. In 1416, the Gemerscy family became the owner of the castle, but a few years later Brzotín passed into the hands of the king. In 1430, Sigismund handed it over to the Peréniovcov family. Like all Gemer’s region castles, Brzotín got into the hands of John Jiskra from Brandys, and during the battles against the Hussites it was seriously damaged. In 1489, the owner was Stefan Mariássy, subsequent owners often changed. In 1556 the castle was conquered by the Turks, but as it did not have much military significance, it was abandoned by them. For a short time, the bands of demoralized soldiers took over Brzotín. The Turks reappeared in 1573 and this time the castle was finally destroyed.
A small castle consisted of a quadrangular dwelling house in front of which a courtyard was created, surrounded by a defensive wall with rounded corners. The rocky shelf on which the castle was erected had dimensions of 20 x 15 meters, the building had 16.5 x 4.5 meters in plan and the thickness of walls reaching 1.8 – 2 meters. The courtyard, close to the trapezoid, was about 12.16 x 6 meters long. The castle was crossed by a timber bridge from the eastern side, over the moat, which ran around the building on three sides. The width of the ditch was from 7 to 17 meters and a depth of about 4-5 meters.
The castle has not survived to modern times. Only the lower parts of the defensive walls and relics of the building’s walls are visible. The whole is overgrown with dense forest and bushes.
Bóna M., Plaček M., Encyklopedie slovenských hradů, Praha 2007.
Wasielewski A., Zamki i zamczyska Słowacji, Białystok 2008.