The surroundings of Brekov belonged at the end of the 13th century to the knightly family of the Kaplony of Michałowice. At the beginning of the 14th century, Piotr Peteny came into possession of these goods, from whose initiative the first brick castle in Brekov was probably built. After the conflict with the Hungarian king Karol Robert, he lost it in 1317, and the ruler donated the stronghold to his loyal knight Filip Drugeth. In the fifteenth century, the castle was in the possession of Zapolya family. In 1488, Stefan Zapolya became its castellan, appointed by the king as commander of troops guarding the north – eastern borders of the kingdom. After the death of Ludwik II in the Battle of Mochacz in 1526, the Hungarian nobility chose king John, son of Stefan Zapolyi, which led to a civil war with the supporters of the emperor Ferdinand Habsburg. His troops in 1558 captured Brekov, which was then seriously damaged. The reconstruction and enlargement of the castle was made by Mikołaj Drugeth, who at the end of the 16th century turned over to the Habsburgs. When the anti-Habsburg uprising broke out in 1613, the castle suffered considerable havoc during the fighting. The fortress was not rebuilt later and from that time it gradually began to fall into more and more ruin. The last owners lived here until the end of the seventeenth century, when they decided to leave the ruined stronghold.
The oldest core of the castle from the end of the 13th or the beginning of the 14th century had an oval plan and was at the highest point of the limestone cliff. A south-west tower or house was added to the defensive wall. The second phase of the construction, connected with Filip Drugeth, led to the creation of a gothic palace, finished with a chapel on the east side and the separation of the second courtyard on the north side. In the second half of the fifteenth century, a middle castle was formed with three tower buildings from the north, east and west. The entrance was located in the wall curtain from the south-west side. In the fourth stage, a late gothic bastion at the gate and a quadrangular gate building from the west on the lower castle were built.
The stronghold has been preserved in the form of a ruin with some of the upper castle buildings reaching the height of the third floor. It is available for sightseeing.
Bóna M., Plaček M., Encyklopedie slovenských hradů, Praha 2007.
Wasielewski A., Zamki i zamczyska Słowacji, Białystok 2008.