The earliest historical mentions of the Bojnice castle date back to 1113. In the document it was mentioned as the Zobor abbey. Initially, the object was timber, but gradually was rebuilt using stone as a building material. One of its first owners was the Hungarian magnate Matthew Csák, who received it from the Hungarian king Ladislaus V. In subsequent centuries, the castle often changed owners, for some time it belonged to the Opole prince Władysław of Opole, and then, together with the surrounding lands, to prince John Corvinus, natural son of king Matthias Corvinus. Later, it became the property of the Zapolya family, and from 1526 Turzon family. In 1646, the castle became the property of the aristocratic Pálffy family, whose members considerably expanded it. It was during their reign at the initiative of count Jan Pálffy, that the building acquired its present fairy-tale, ahistorical, neo-gothic shape. The rebuilding took place in 1889-1910. In the nineteenth century, the last owner of the castle and the whole land Bojnice was count János Ferenc Pálffy. After his death, the heirs sold the castle, and after the Second World War it was confiscated by the state.
The original castle from the 13th-14th century consisted of a circumference of oval-shaped defensive walls erected on a small, rocky hill. A residential building was placed on their inner side. The water was provided by a tank, connected through a cave under the castle, to a nearby lake. In the fifteenth century, the stronghold was extended by another, outer ring of defensive walls, surrounding the entire upper castle. The new fortifications were led straight lines and towers were placed in the places of the bends. The upper castle was reinforced in the sixteenth century by a semi-cylindrical cannon tower from the east.
Currently, the neo-gothic building houses exhibitions of an artistic and historical museum. One of the most unique and valuable works is a late-gothic paintings set. The stalactite cave under the castle, which is connected to a deep well, is also part of the castle exhibition. The annual International Festival of Ghosts and Spooks, is the best known of the many events taking place in the castle.
Bóna M., Plaček M., Encyklopedie slovenských hradů, Praha 2007.
Wasielewski A., Zamki i zamczyska Słowacji, Białystok 2008.