The beginnings of the castle date back to the second half of the 13th century, when Via Magna ran along the castle – a trade route from the upper Nitra region, through the Turiec Basin to Silesia or Orava and further through the Polish lands to the Baltic Sea. The first written reference to the castle dates from 1300, when it belonged to Peter from Brezowica. Later it passed into royal hands. In 1414, the castle, which had lost the role of the watchtower of the trade route, passed from royal power to Pongrác of Liptovsky Mikulas, and then the Polish knight Piotr Komorowski, then ruling the entire Orava in the name of Hungarian king. Repeatedly changing owners, in 1540 it got to Révay family, who in the second half of the sixteenth and early seventeenth century built the lower part of the castle with numerous residential and commercial buildings and two half towers. However, this did not raise the defense values of the stronghold: in 1604, it was occupied by the units of the insurgents of Stefan Bocskaya, and then in 1619 by the army of Gabriel Bethlen. At the end of the seventies of the 17th century, the castle was taken over by the kurucs of Emeryk Thököly. During their occupation, a great fire broke out in the castle, which destroyed a large part of the buildings. At the beginning of the next century, the insurgents of Francis II Rákóczi took the castle. Revayas regained it only in 1708, after losing the insurgents in the Battle of Trencin. Thanks to the fact that they did not join the Rakoczi uprising, their castle was not on the imperial list of fortresses intended for demolition. In 1744 the castle was renewed, but its defensive meaning completely fell and from 1790 it was no longer inhabited. With time, it fell into disrepair.
The castle consisted of a narrow, elongated residential building, located on the east-west axis and equipped on the ends with towers. From the north-east it was guarded by a rocky cliff. For this reason, the western tower was much larger than the eastern tower, its diameter was 9.5 meters. Its task was to protect the entrance, and access to it was provided by a spiral staircase. The west tower was probably the oldest stone element of the castle. Below the hill there were economic buildings forming a outer bailey. At the end of the 16th century, a brick lower castle was built with a residential house, economic buildings and two half towers. The outer defense was a dry moat (ditch) above which the drawbridge was moved.
The remains of the castle in the form of a ruin have survived to our times. On the forested hill, you can see the ruins of the upper castle. Partially preserved walls of the gothic building and both towers. Below the trees you can see the walls of the former lower castle. In the last period, the castle underwent renovation and security works combined with partial reconstruction.
Bóna M., Plaček M., Encyklopedie slovenských hradů, Praha 2007.
Wasielewski A., Zamki i zamczyska Słowacji, Białystok 2008.