The original romanesque church of St. John was built in the first half of the 13th century. Its consecration took place in 1243. In the sixteenth century, it was rebuilt in the gothic style. Probably then the tower received an octagonal superstructure. Further modifications and renovations were made in the nineteenth century, when the sacristy and outbuildings were added on both sides of the tower.
The romanesque church was an orientated, single-nave temple with a tower from the west. During the sixteenth-century reconstruction, the nave was widened, as a result of which a three-nave building with a narrower, polygonal ended chancel was created. The church is surrounded by a stone wall from the middle of the 16th century and a covered staircase leading to the hill.
Website banskabela.sk, Farský kostol sv. Jána apoštola a evanjelistu v Banskej Belej.