Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross was built in the years 1220 – 1230. Source informations about the village and church are few. In 1278 a certain Albertus dictus de Fonte was mentioned, in 1305 the settlement itself was recorded, and in 1319 the priest Konrad was mentioned. In the 17th century, a porch was added and surrounded by a low stone wall, in which the arrowslits and four corner, low towers were integrated. In the eighteenth century it was rebuilt.
Built of bricks in the monk bond, church consisted of an aisleless, rectangular nave (18,3 x 9,6 meters) and a smaller and narrower chancel originally ended with an apse. The chancel was erected on a plan similar to a square measuring inside 6.1 x 5.9 meters. The windows of the nave were topped by ogival arches, and the windows in the chancel were crowned semicircularly. External façades were decorated with pilaster strips and an arcaded frieze around the chancel. The interior of the chacel was covered with a cross-rib vault, while the nave had a flat, timber ceiling. It is possible that in the western part of the church there was originally a gallery, as indicated by the narrowed western windows.
As a result of early modern transformations of the church, the eastern apse was removed, the sacristy and vestibule added from the south, and the nave was vaulted. In addition, the original portal was walled up in the northern wall of the nave. By widening the old or piercing new openings, the present entrances to the church in the southern facade of the nave and chancel were created. The windows of the chancel, the lesene partition of the walls and the arcaded frieze have remained unchanged. Ogival windows of the nave come from a later, but probably still medieval construction period.
Kozaczewski T., Wiejskie kościoły parafialne XIII wieku na Śląsku (miejscowości S-Ż) i na Łużycach, Wrocław 1994.
Pilch J., Leksykon zabytków architektury Dolnego Śląska, Warszawa 2005.
Świechowski Z., Architektura romańska w Polsce, Warszawa 2000.
Świechowski Z., Architektura na Śląsku do połowy XIII wieku, Warszawa 1955.