Town hall in Żnin was erected in 1447-1500. The building was defensive and was destroyed during the Polish-Swedish wars in 1656, and then demolished except for the tower which survived to our times. In 1692 the tower was damaged by a fire. It was rebuilt, but reduced by one storey. During this reconstruction there was also a pyramid roof with a baroque helmet, which lasted until the mid-nineteenth century. In 1755 a clock was built in the building, funded by mayor Zenon Konwerski. In 1961 a regional museum was established.
The town hall tower in Żnin is a massive structure erected on a square plan, and from the height of the first floor passing into octagon. The floors are separated by friezes and frieze of bricks laid obliquely. The windows are finished with sectional arches, and on the third floor there is a circular blend. Between the first and the second storey there are staggered bowstones.
Originally the tower had five storeys and was completed with an observation platform topped with a battlement. The oldest part of the building is the cellar with barrel vault, which in the past served as a prison or detention. In the cellars there are also remnants of medieval heating system called hypocaustum. There is a fireplace, from which it conducts the system of internal heating channels built into the walls of the tower and stretching throughout the height of the building. A medieval wooden town hall building was added to the tower and could have three storeys.
At present, the facility houses the Museum of the Pałucka Region, holding historical and ethnographic exhibits related to the region.
Website wikipedia.org, Wieża ratuszowa w Żninie.
Website zabytek.pl, Wieża ratuszowa, ob. Muzeum Ziemi Pałuckiej Żnin.