City walls were erected in the 14th century on the site of earlier wooden fortifications of the 13th century. At the beginning of the 15th century an additional outer wall was erected and the towers and gates were strengthened. Fortifications began to dismantled in 1822.
The ring of the fortifications built of sandstone, basalt and bricks was shaped close to oval. In the 15th century a second, lower belt of fortifications with small towers was added, about 8-10 meters from the curtain wall. During this period, the internal perimeter of the walls was also strengthened with semicircular towers. Initially, the town had two gates: the lower one called Legnicka and the upper one called Kowalska, and later the wicket gates of Wilcza and Solna. The main gates were protected by foregate towers.
The longest but also heavily reduced fragments of the preserved defensive walls are extend from Staszica to Sikorskiego streets and further at Monastery street and Post Office. The semi-cylindrical half towers also survived. The most notable remains of the fortifications is the Blacksmith’s Tower, originally the tower of the Upper Gate. Its culmination is the result of modern reconstruction.
Przyłęcki M., Mury obronne miast Dolnego Śląska, Wrocław 1970.
Website zabytek.pl, Mury miejskie Złotoryja.