Church of St. Martin in Zawada was built in the fifteenth century, although the existence of a parish, founded by Benedictines from the Tyniec abbey, is already confirmed in 1326. Before 1665 it was thoroughly renovated, then the tower was added, and probably outer arcades. In the nineteenth century interior was decorated with figural polychrome on the ceilings and ornamental on the walls. In 1966, the church underwent a thorough renovation, during which the structure was strengthened, the tower and arcades were renovated, and the formwork of walls and shingles were replaced.
The church is a gothic wooden temple in a log structure, single-nave, with a narrower chancel ended on three sides and with a side sacristy. The roof of the temple is covered with shingle, and the nave is surrounded by characteristic arcades, probably added in the 17th or 19th century. Inside the church are oak, gothic carpentry portals from the period of the church’s creation of arches in the form of a trefoil and pointed arch. The interior is covered with a flat ceiling.
Brykowski R., Kornecki M., Drewniane kościoły w Małopolsce południowej, Wrocław 1984.
Cisowski B., Duda M., Szlak architektury drewnianej. Małopolska, Kraków 2005.
Krasnowolski B., Leksykon zabytków architektury Małopolski, Warszawa 2013.