Wrocław was established at the intersection of important trade routes leading from the south to the Baltic Sea and from Rus to the west. In the early Middle Ages, it was one of the most important settlements of the Ślężanie tribe. From the end of the 9th until the mid-10th century, together with the whole of Silesia, it belonged to the Czech and from about 990 it belonged to the Polish Piasts dynasty. The main element of Wrocław was then a wooden and earth stronghold at Ostrów Tumski Island, the seat of feudal and its entourage. Beside, on the also fortified borough, craftsmen and merchants lived. In 1000, Wrocław was elected the capital of the bishopric, and since 1138, was the capital of a separate land. It began to play an increasingly important role. The area of the original borough of Ostrów Tumski, too small for rapidly growing population and new foundations, was extended to the areas located in the north and on the west bank of the Odra (the Benedictine monastery was built on Ołbin, and the monastery of regular canons on the Piasek Island). On the left bank of the Odra River, a settlement of Wallonian weavers has developed. Around 1229, the first square was laid out and streets were marked out, however this lively development was interrupted by the Tatar invasion of 1241.
The destructions caused by the Mongols made the townspeople aware of the need to build defensive walls around the town, which would allow them to be protected in the future. The construction of masonry fortifications began around the middle of the 13th century, on the site of former earth ramparts with a palisade. At the latest, at the end of the 13th century, fortifications from the river side were erected.
The town grew rapidly and already in the 14th century the buildings that were built outside the town walls were large enough and vast that it was decided to build, from the south and west, a new ring of walls and surround it with a moat. Works on the new circuit lasted from 1299 to 1351. The area of the New Town received fortifications from the east only in the fifteenth century.
The fortification system was constantly expanded and improved as the war technics changed. With the spread of gunpowder in the 15th / 16th century a second outer ring of fortifications with low towers was added. In the 17th century, the bastion system was introduced in front of the medieval fortifications. After the occupation of Wrocław by Napoleon’s troops, beginning in 1807, the long process of demolishing the walls of Wrocław began.
The defensive wall of Wrocław was about six meters tall, thick for about 2 meters and topped with a battlement. It was reinforced with numerous towers open from the town side and extending 3.5 meters in front of wall. In the first half of the 14th century towers were raised, built on the side of the town and covered with a hip roofs. In the late Middle Ages a second, lower, outer wall with low towers was added. In the 15th century, the towers were 39, spaced about every 30 meters.
There were originally five town gates: Świdnicka, Mikołajska, Ruska, Piaskowa and Oławska. Mostly they had the shape of a gatehouse on a square plan with a lockable drawbridge. The roof was covered with shingles. After the fourteenth-century expansion of the new gates: Świdnicka, Mikołajska and Oławska took over the names of the old 13th-century entrances. In the years 1479-1503, the western Mikolajska Gate was enlarged by two low tower fortifications surrounding the gate, adapted to the use of artillery and the firearms. Świdnicka Gate also received similar reinforcement. The other gates: Sakwowa, Ceglarska and Odrzańska, formed in the outer lane of the walls in the fourteenth century, were much more modest. The outer defense zone was a watered moat and the Odra river from the north.
The outer defense zone was the moat. It was also called Town Oława or the Black Oława and was built in the 13th century. At the turn of the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, an external line of fortifications was marked out with a second, external moat, distant from Black Oława by about three hundred meters. Initially, the outer moat ran in the middle section slightly more to the north, while the church and monastery of Corpus Christi was located on the peninsula that was erected in front of the Świdnicka Gate.
Until today, from the once fortified strong town, only the Bear’s Tower, reconstructed in a large part, a short section of the wall next to it and two built-up external towers at the All Saints Hospital, have survived. A fragment of the defensive wall can also be seen near the Municipal Arsenal.
Pilch J., Leksykon zabytków architektury Dolnego Śląska, Warszawa 2005.
Przyłęcki M., Mury obronne miast Dolnego Śląska, Wrocław 1970.