The church was built in the second half of the 13th century, and in the fifteenth century, a tower was erected above its western part. In 1458, the von Sack family was mentioned for the first time, to which the village belonged, and with it a patronage over the church. Around 1540, the temple was taken over by the Protestants.
In the first half of the 18th century, new window openings were pierced and the interior of the church was covered with a wooden barrel vault on which the polychrome was made. In the second half of the eighteenth century, a large, two-storey matroneum was built in the western part of the nave. The entrance to the church was then transferred from the undertower to the south wall, to which a storey porch was added. Around 1830, the neo-Gothic burial chapel of the von Oelsen family, then owners of the villages, was added to the eastern wall of the church.
In 1911 a thorough restoration of the church was carried out, maintained in the neo-Gothic style. At that time, the entrance to the nave was restored from the west, by building a two-storeyed porch in the interior of the tower, and the Baroque southern porch was pulled down, where a new, neo-Gothic one was erected. Around 1932, the next restaurant of the temple was carried out, during which the tower was restored to its original form with battlements.
The church was built of granite blocks arranged in regular layers. Originally, it was an orientated, aisleless building, on a rectangular plan, without an externally separated chancel. Yet in the Middle Ages, a tower topped with battlements and a pyramidal dome was built at the nave from the west side. The façades of the tower are divided with blind windows, and in the top storey they were pierced with openings in the form of ogival biforas.
The early Gothic portals leading to the interior were closed with pointed arches, as were the windows of the early Gothic phase, while the northern wall, now pierced with two openings, was originally devoid of them. This custom was undoubtedly of practical importance, since the least sunlight was obtained from the north and west. There are also views seeking the ideological foundations of this practice, perhaps resulting from medieval mysticism, which reserved the north side for evil powers, from which people had to be separated.
The church was partially transformed in the early modern period, which is most visible in the shape of the window openings and in the top of the tower. The original openings are visible in the southern wall: a window and a bricked up portal in the western part and three bricked up windows in the eastern part. From the original furnishings, a stone baptismal font and a medieval granite stoup, embedded in the western wall of the church, have survived.
Website zabytek.pl, Kościół par. pw. Chrystusa Króla Witnica.