The house was built in the years 1464-1467 from the foundation of the custodian of Wiślica and the chronicler Jan Długosz. It was intended for the vicariates and canons of the collegiate. In 1468 the bishop of Kraków, Jan Lutek, approved the donation. According to the tradition in this building, they were taught the sons of king Kazimierz Jagiellończyk when they were under the care of a famous chronicler. In the 18th century a part of the building occupied the Zemstvo of Wiślica. According to a visit from 1792, it required renovations, which were made between 1820 and 1837. In 1873 another renovation was carried out. In 1915 the Austrian army seriously damaged the building. In 1919, the destructions was removed and portals were reconstructed. In 1930, based on the design of Adolf Szyszko-Bohusz, reconstructions were made of the interior of the house, stone portals and window frames. In 1945, the house was seriously damaged by war. It was not until the 1960s that the necessary repairs were made, combined with architectural research. As a result, the original design of the interior was established and the Gothic portals and figural polychrome were discovered.
Dlugosz’s house in Wiślica is a storey building with basement on elongated, rectangular plan, with a buttress in the south-west corner. The brick elevations of the building from the east and west are crowned with triangular gables with blendes and ogival recesses, in which there are stone shields with the coat of arms of Długosz – Wieniawa.
Inside building consists of a passageway, with staircases in the thick walls, a west-facing passage with a cells on the sides, and two chambers from the east. In the hallway, passage and rooms are preserved beamed ceilings with remnants of polychrome. On the upper floor there is a hall-refectory, a former dining room for priests. In the north-west of the building, a unique Gothic polychrome from the end of the 15th century was discovered.
Today the Dlugosz’s House houses the vicarage and the Regional Museum in Wiślica. It is one of the two surviving late Gothic residential buildings founded by a famous canon and chronicler. The second is located in Sandomierz.
Website zabytek.pl Dom Księży Wikariuszy, tzw. Dom Długosza Wiślica.