The castle was built in the middle of the 14th century on the order of castellan Mikołaj Nałęcz from Chomiąża. After his death in the fifteenth century it passed into the hands of the Pomian family. Between 1411 and 1420 it burned. In 1420 Mikołaj of Warzymowo sold it to the archbishop of Gniezno, Mikołaj Trąba. It was later expanded by archbishops and served as their most important residence on the Pałuki land. At the castle were the bishop’s starosts, and there was also a prison for criminals subjects to the church court. In the years 1464-1473 the castle was the residence of the general governor of Wielkopolska, Piotr Nałęcz from Szamotuły. At the end of the 15th century, after the threat of the Teutonic Order ceased, it lost its importance, its defensive and residential values and was partially demolished for the construction material of the new bishop’s residence in Żnin. In the following centuries, the castle fell into ruin.
The castle was located on a small hill on the isthmus between two lakes. It was established on a square plan with a side of 33.5 meters with perimeter walls reinforced with buttresses, a four-sided tower with a side length of 10 meters in the northeast corner and a house in the western curtain. In addition to the warning and defense role, the tower probably also had a residential function. The entrance to the inner courtyard led from the south through the foregate protruding from the line of walls.
After 1420 new rooms were erected, including the castle chapel. An extensive gate defense system was created, and the whole complex was surrounded by an outer perimeter wall in front of which was a moat with edges reinforced with wood. Cylindrical towers adapted to artillery fire were placed in the corners.
The castle has survived in the form of a poorly preserved, low ruin. Currently it is adapted for sightseeing. The entrance to the castle in the summer is possible in the hour. 9.00-18.00.
Leksykon zamków w Polsce, red. L.Kajzer, Warszawa 2003.
Olejniczak K., Grody i zamki w Wielkopolsce, Poznań 1993.